Samsung Rewards Mobile Division Employees Despite Poor Performance: Issues And Solutions
Identification of the problems
This report has been prepared on the topic “Human resource management”. The discussion will be made regarding the rewards offered by Samsung to the employees of the mobile division despite their poor performance in the year 2015. Performance of the employees is the key determinant of the performance of the organization or the department of the organization. It is essential for every organization to focus on the performance of the employees, monitor their performance and use motivation as an approach for enhancing their performance. Every organization must offer rewards to the employees in a fair manner for maintaining a healthy environment at the workplace (Pourrashidi, et. al., 2017).
In this report, a case of Samsung has been discussed. In this case, Samsung has offered rewards to the mobile division employees despite their poor performance in 2015. According to this case, Samsung has offered a maximum bonus to the employees of the mobile division for their contribution in managing the operations of the division while facing various challenges. This was done with a motive to motivate the employees of the mobile division for engaging in the operations of the division and enhancing the profitability of the division. Various challenges have been faced by the mobile division in the year 2015. These challenges include increasing competition in the business environment from the Chinese vendors and changing technology. The bonus was offered at different rates to the different divisions of Samsung. This has created hustle among the different divisions of the organization. The focus of Samsung will be on offering proper compensation to the employees (Carlon, 2016).
This report will discuss the various issues or problems identified which could have affected the performance and employee base of Samsung due to the different rate bonus offered to the employees. It will also discuss the practical solutions which can be adopted by Samsung for the purpose of coping with the issues or problems
Samsung is operating in the global market and is offering a wide range of products to its customers. During the year 2015, the performance of the mobile division of the Samsung. The bonus has been offered at the rate of 50 % of the salary of the employees of the mobile division employees (Samsung, 2018). Other divisions have been offered a bonus at different rates. This has created dissatisfaction among the employees of Samsung. Different problems have been identified which could have affected the performance and employee base of Samsung due to the difference in the bonus rates. These problems are discussed below:
- Lack of motivation: the main reason behind the poor performance of the mobile division of the Samsung is the lack of motivation. Motivation is an important aspect which enhances the satisfaction level of the employees. The bonus is being offered at different rates to the employees of different divisions. This has affected the satisfaction level of the employees of different divisions of Samsung. Employees of mobile division are being offered a bonus at 50 % despite the poor performance in the year 2015. Increase in the profits was due to the cost-cutting exercises used by Samsung. Satisfaction level of the other employees got affected due to the unfair bonus offered to the employees of the mobile division (Beker & Smidt¸2016).
- Lack of team spirit: the performance of the mobile division has fallen due to the lack of team spirit. Employees of every division must focus on providing quality services so as to enhance the performance of the division for contributing towards the performance of the organization. Dissatisfaction among the employees of the different divisions has resulted in negative impact on the team spirit among the employees.
- Employee turnover: employee turnover is an important concern for every organization. An increase in the employee turnover rates results in financial impact, impact on the reputation of the organization and increase in the efforts. It is essential for every organization to retain the existing employee base for gaining a competitive advantage over the others in the industry. Dissatisfaction among the employees can result in an increase in the employee turnover rates of Samsung. The decision regarding the issue of 50 % bonus to the employees of the mobile division has been taken for retaining the employees and motivating the employees (Walsh, et. al., 2010).
- Lack of knowledge: knowledge and skills are the crucial aspects on the basis of which performance of the employees is determined. For the attainment of the objectives or targets set, Samsung needs to be a focus on the skills and knowledge possessed by the employees. One of the issues which have affected the performance of the mobile division in the year 2015 is lack of knowledge. Competition in the business environment has increased due to the entry of the Chinese vendors. Knowledge of the competition in the business environment needs to be developed. Samsung has to take initiatives for the purpose of enhancing the knowledge of the employees of the different divisions.
- Diversity as a challenge: diversity is one of the most common aspects of the workplace. Every organization has to focus on the management of the diversity in an effective manner for the accomplishment of the objectives of the business. Different employees are working together and due to the differences in the class, age, gender, culture and language differences may arise. These differences have affected the performance of the mobile division of Samsung (Stankiewicz, 2015).
- Challenges related to the relationship with employees: Samsung has to focus on developing a healthy relationship with the employees so as to enhance the communication process and performance of the employees. Issues have been faced due to the lack of effective relationship between the employees and organization. Samsung has not used effective motivational approaches for enhancing the satisfaction level of the employees. This has affected the relationship between the employees and Samsung. Relationship of Samsung with the employees got affected due to the differences in the bonus rates offered to the employees of different divisions (Batti, 2014).
- Lack of monitoring: performance or activities of the employees need to be monitored at regular intervals so as to eliminate the adverse impact on the performance of the employees. Proper monitoring will help Samsung in measuring the performance of the employees and controlling their performance by guiding their efforts in the right direction. Performance of the mobile division was poor in the year 2015 and proper monitoring should be there for keeping a check on the performance of the employees of the mobile division (Tang & Rose, 2014).
- Discrimination while offering rewards: unfair bonus is being offered to the different divisions of Samsung which has increased the dissatisfaction among the employees of other division. Employees of the other divisions are treated in an unfavorable manner as despite poor performance, mobile division is being paid bonus at a high rate. It is important to adopt fair practice so as to encourage employee participation and contributing to the satisfaction level among the employees (Banerji, 2013).
Solutions for resolving the problems
For resolving the issues related to the human resource, there is a need to adopt strategies acting as a solution for the issues. Samsung has faced different issues or problems which need to deal in a proper manner. The main reason behind the fall in the profits of the mobile division of Samsung is the increase in the competition level. It is vital to cope with this challenge for the purpose of solving the issues faced. Different solutions can be adopted by Samsung for the purpose of enhancing the performance and managing the human resource in a better manner. These solutions are listed below:
Effective communication: communication is an important element which plays a vital role in enhancing the flow of exchange and managing the performance of the employees. Communication process needs to be developed in an effective way so as to ensure that the issues faced by the employees are highlighted in front of Samsung. Communication will help in the analysis of the dissatisfaction among the employees of other divisions of Samsung. Regular meetings can be conducted for promoting communication between the employees and organization. Communication process will help Samsung in explaining the expectations of the organization to the employees. Development of a better and effective communication process will promote team spirit and unity among the employees (Gopalakrishnan, 2012).
Management of diversity: diversity management approaches can be used by Samsung for promoting team spirit and managing the individuals with different background and culture properly. Diversity management will help in managing the employees of different divisions of Samsung by promoting teamwork. Different strategies can be adopted by Samsung for the management of diversity. Interaction among the employees needs to be promoted for enhancing the communication among the employees of different divisions. Diversity management will promote coordination and communication among the employees of different divisions (Minavand, et. al., 2013).
Performance management: every organization has to focus on the performance of the employees so as to contribute to the success and growth of the business. Performance management will help Samsung in focusing managing the performance of the employees. This approach will help Samsung in managing the performance of the employees which will ensure the attainment of the objectives of the organization. High-performance culture can be developed with the help of performance management. This approach will make the employees responsible for their performance and attainment of high-quality performance (Hodson & Sullivan, 2012).
Identification of learning and development needs: learning and development are crucial which determines the skills and knowledge of the employees. In this dynamic business environment, there is a need to identify the learning and development needs of the employees. This identification of the learning and development needs will help in identifying the areas which can be developed for developing the knowledge and skills of the employees. Training sessions can be conducted by Samsung at regular intervals for meeting the development needs of the employees. With the increase in the level of competition, there has been a rise in the need for learning and development programs (Dhauya, 2015).
Motivation and rewards: motivation can be explained as the reason for the actions or behaviors of an individual in a particular manner. Motivational approaches can be used for the purpose of encouraging employees to perform better. Rewards can be offered to the employees so as to motivate them. Samsung is offering rewards for motivating the employees. But this approach has backfired on Samsung as the rate of bonus is different for different divisions. Rewards should be offered to the employees in a fair manner so as to ensure that the employees are satisfied with the organization. Samsung can implement motivational approaches and offer rewards for gaining support from the employees (Armstrong, 2012).
Performance appraisal: performance of the employees need to be monitored at regular intervals. Measurement of the performance will form a base for the rewards or incentives which need to be offered to the employees. Samsung can use performance appraisal methods for measuring the performance of the employees and encouraging them to enhance their performance for the attainment of the targets. Performance appraisal includes a review of the performance, evaluation of the performance and discussion regarding the career. Performance appraisal can be used as a method for the measurement of the performance of the employees (Bakanauskien? & Brasait?, 2015).
Employee engagement: every organization needs to engage the employees in the operations of the business. Samsung can use employee engagement for engaging the employees in the operations of the business. This approach will help in enhancing the contribution of the employees towards the performance of the organization (Werner, et. al., 2012).
Thus, from the above discussion, it can be summarized that it is essential for the organizations to adopt fair practices for the employees. There are various issues or problems which may arise due to the lack of effective and fair practices for the management of the employees. Samsung has faced these issues to the decision taken regarding the difference in the bonus rates offered to the employees of different divisions. There is a need to analyze the impact of these problems on the performance of the employees. Strategies need to be adopted for the purpose of resolving the issues faced by Samsung. These problems and solutions have been considered in this report.
Armstrong, M. (2012). Armstrong’s Handbook of Human Resource Management Practice. London: Kogan Page. 800.
Bakanauskien?, I. & Brasait?, D. (2015). Responding To Challenges in Hrm Environment: The Case of Lithuanian Organisations. Human Resources Management & Ergonomics, 9.
Banerji, S. C. (2013). A Study of Issues & Challenges of Implementation of Information Technology in HRM. Global Journal of Management and Business Studies. 3, 4, 435-440.
Batti, R. C. (2014). Human resource management challenges facing local NGOs. Humanities and Social Sciences, 2(4): 87-95.
Beker¸ K. & Smidt¸ M. (2016). A risk perspective on human resource management: A review and directions for future research. Human Resource Management Review, 26, 2, 149-165.
Carlon, K. (2016). Samsung rewards Mobile division employees despite poor performance in 2015. Android Authority. Available at: https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-rewards-mobile-division-employees-669904/
Dhauya, R. (2015). Challenges of Managing Workforce. Centria University of Applied Sciences.
Gopalakrishnan, G. (2012). Issues That Influences The Effectiveness And Efficiency Of A Human Resource Management In An Organisation. International Journal of Economics and Management Sciences, 1, 6, 65-70.
Hodson, R. & Sullivan, T. A. (2012). The Social Organization of Work. Cengage Learning. 528.
Minavand, H., Farahmandian, S. & Minaei, V. (2013). HR Challenges of Project Managers. IOSR Journal of Business and Management. 11, 5, 40-45.
Pourrashidi, R., Mehranpour, M. & Nick, M. F. (2017). Human Resources Management: Challenges and Solutions. Helix, 8, 998-1001.
Samsung. (2018). [Online] About us. Available at: https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-rewards-mobile-division-employees-669904/
Stankiewicz, K. (2015). Contemporary Issues and Challenges in Human Resource Management. ZIE.
Tang Y., & Rose, S. (2014). Developing International Business Managers through International Study Visits to China, Journal of Teaching in International Business, 25(2), 119-133.
Walsh, K., Sturman, M. C., & Longstreet, J. (2010). Key issues in strategic human resources[Electronic version]. Cornell University, School of Hospitality Administration.
Werner, S., Schuler, R. & Jackson, S. (2012). Human Resource Management. Cengage Learning. 696.