In this assignment, you will be identifying behavior characteristics of specific disabilities. More specifically, you will be reading case studies provided in the class text by Cohen and Spenciner (2009) to gain a further understanding of different disabilities you may come into contact with in the special educator profession.
Chapters 2 and 3 of the course text by Cohen and Spenciner (2009) provide numerous “Snapshots” of real students and their parents/caregivers. For this assignment, you will choose one Snapshot to review and discuss:
- Keisha- Intellectual Disability (p. 74)
The written assignment needs to include the following areas of content:
- Describe the student’s special abilities (strengths) as well as needs (areas of growth). This would also be considered a description of the student’s present levels of performance.
- Identify characteristics which are typical of students with this specific disability. What characteristics were typical of the individual student?
- Analyze how you think the student’s behavior and social skills would impact her success in the classroom. What components of positive behavior supports might be utilized to support those skills?
The Snapshot paper
- Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least two scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center.
- Exhibit meticulous use of grammar, spelling, organization, and usage throughout your submission.
Cohen, L. G., & Spenciner, L. J. (2009). Teaching students with mild and moderate disabilities: Research-based practices (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
- This text is a Constellation™ course digital materials (CDM) title.
- Lavoie, R. (2007). Helping the socially isolated child make friends (Links to an external site.). Retrieved from
- Reeve, C. (2013, October 29). Easy method for collecting and analyzing data (Links to an external site.) [Blog post]. Retrieved from
- SMART behavior change outcome (Links to an external site.). (n.d.) Retrieved from