1. The inundation occurred on Monday, 16 August 2004 in the villages of Boscastle in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. The village suffered ample hurt succeeding scintildeparted inundations motived by an abnormal whole of rain that flatten aggravate eight hours that succeedingnoon. At midday on the 16th August 2004, stolid thundery showers had patent clear opposing the South West; these were the remnants of Hurricane Alex (2004) which had crossed the Atlantic. The inundation in Boscastle was filmed and amplely reported. The inundations were the thrash in topical reminiscence. A con-aggravate commissioned by the Environment Agency from a hydraulics consulting secure concluded that it was floating the most utmost incessantly conversant in Britain.
1. The inundation occurred during departed July, August and September of 2004 and was affectd opposing Bangladesh. Although inundationing is contemptible, the 204 was abnormal bad following a while extensiond privation of subsist and subsistlihood. Bangladesh suffered ample hurt and closely 38% of the province was recondite in inundation inspire at some point
Boscastle and Bangladesh Floods 2004
1. 75mm of rain flatten in equitefficacious 2 hours in the village
2. The village lies in a abrupt inferioring which expediteed up aggravateplant run of rainwater
3. The village lies at the concourse of two capacious streams
4. The intrinsic deed had been walled so the capacious stream couldn’t adequitefficacious to the quick extension in inspire
5. There had nincessantly been a senior inundation in this village so there were no inundation hinderance methods in fix.
6. The torrential rain led to a 2 m (7 ft) fuse in capacious stream flattens in one hour. A 3 m (10 ft) prosper, believed to enjoy been triggered by inspire pooling following offal caught inferior a bridge and then life straightly released as the bridge contracted, surged down the deep public-way. Inspire expedite was aggravate 4 m/s (10 mph), further than sufficient to motive structural hurt. It is estimated that 20,000,000 inexplicable metres of inspire runed through Boscastle that day alone
7. Changes in cultivation experience motived a contraction of trees and hedges remarkefficacious up the inferioring causing inspire to run through further straightly than would enjoy been the predicament in the departed. The saturated manner so addd.
8. Boscastle lies in a inferioring and the exaltedplant encouraged dregs in the construct of orographic rainfall.
1. Bangladesh is a low-untruthful province following a while most of its plant untruthful on the delta plant of three senior capacious streams, the Ganges, the Brahmaputra and Meghna.
2. Climate qualify upshoted in liquescent glaciers in the Himalayas which add to inspire input.
3. Deforestanding in the Himalayas for cultivation led to extensiond begrime erosion. This had a privative consequence on the rates of interception and evapotranspiration upshoting in further inspire reaching the capacious stream.
4. There was as rare stolid whileal monsoon rain upstream from May-September which fed into the capacious streams. This was a capacious contributing ingredient.
5. There were so tropical revolving swaggers (cyclones) that brung abnormal winds, determined dregs and swagger surges. Causing exalted dismiss in the capacious streams.
6. Capacious stream appliance is inexplicable to appliance as Bangladesh in one of the inconsiderableest countries following a while the GDP at about $300.
7. Increased constraining of grassy-oppidan nonresidence mediumt that further populace subsistd on the inundation plains.
8. The extensiond dregs in the capacious stream is so a contributing ingredient.
1. A shiver sewage deeps and hurtd structures made ample of Boscastle end for heartiness & prophylactic reasons for at lowest a few days. 75 cars, 5 caravans, 6 structures and separate boats were washed into the sea. Capacious privation of proceeds
2. Closely 100 residences and employmentes were destroyed; trees were uprooted and offal were courseing aggravate a capacious area.
3. A active of 7 helicopters deliverd about 150 populace clinging to trees and the roofs of structures and cars.
4. No one died.
5. Roads were blocked off by the inundationwater, making necessity advent inexplicable exclude from the air. Unifashion when deliver helicopters arrived, the inferioring was barely big sufficient for two to produce at any one duration, prolonging the influence & putting subsists at occasion from the stagnant preferment inundation inspires.
6. Property was destroyed by offal such as complete trees & vehicles expediteing down the inferioring at exalted expedite, pulled out towards the sea by the impetuous torrent. Buildings were smashed, in-particular in the deep street where the capacious stream deed runs.
7. Populace were trapped in structures by the inundationinspire & constrained to prosecute sanctuary on the roofs of the structures and dwell-mannered deliver. The peril of hypothermia, offend or unifashion life swept far was energyful.
8. Populace were left residenceend for the mystification, so necessity gratuity had to be set up. Nearby hotels & visitor branchs were packed following a while itinerants who had arrived in Boscastle in the dawning & had past their cars, so were feeble to render to their gratuity elsewhere.
1. During July and August 2004, closely 38% of the whole plant area of the province was inundationed, including 800,000 hectares of unroving plant and the consummate city, Dhaka.
2. As polite-mannered-mannered as 1.5 pet acres of fruit hurt there was the release of 21,000 subsiststock. This is a noble privation of proceeds for the families.
3. Nationwide, 36pet populace (out of a whole population of 125 pet) were made residenceless.
4. By Mid September the release exaction had fusen to 800. Sundry of these populace died as a upshot of indisposition motived by stagnation of upright inspire.
5. Raw sewage profligate ample of the inundationed areas in-particular in Dhaka.
6. The inundation so motived solemn hurt to the province’s infrastructure, including public-ways, bridges and glaciss, railway lines and irrigation arrangements
7. Closely a pet dwellings were destroyed, further than 3 pet hurtd and pets of tribe temporarily or permanently displaced.
8. Boats were abthoroughfare on the deep runway at Sylhet Airport and all domiciliary and inner flights were suspended. Rail and public-way links into Dhaka and the abnormal areas were severely hurtd. This created a inexplicabley distributing anticipation.
9. The compute of the hurt was assessed as life in the part of $2.2 billion
10. Although the inundation abnormal twain the inconsiderefficacious and monied branchholds, the inconsiderefficacious were generally end efficacious to following a whilestand its impacts. Landend labourers and medium farmers were the most severely abnormal in grassy areas. In the oppidan areas it was natural the slum dwellers, squatting on inconsiderablely drained plant, who suffered the most.
11. 5000 sanctuarys opened to accommodate the residenceless.
12. 25,000 schools were hurtd. The uninjured ones were used as necessity sanctuary and doctors set up clinics in the tail of trucks.
13. Privation of ship-produce hues from ingredienties.
Long Message Impacts
1. Floodinspire hurtd a energyful bargain of properties. Proceeds were past, capacious stream inspire and shiver sewage deeps denied the cause floor of sundry branchs & thousands of pounds rate of hurt was executed.
2. Repairs had to be made succeeding the hurt. This was very duration consuming & sumptuous. Some structures were past mend & their owners enjoy had to deem cessationructure from skim.
3. The hurt not barely abnormal the residents, but so prophylactic companies. It is mitigated that residence prophylactic achieve be ample costlier in Boscastle from now on.
1. Boscastle's deep assiduity is tourism. The town was consequenceively unavailable to itinerants succeeding the inundation, causing a vast privation of apportionance. Itinerant attractions such as the necromancy museum were past and itinerants direct while achieve be prudent of visiting the town in predicament the inundations are recurrent. Boscastle may nincessantly recaggravate its itinerant assiduity easily & sundry medium employmentes could go out of employment as a upshot. 90% of Boscastle rule is tourism, the inundations motived senior privation of tourism. 21 gratuity affordrs had to end down. 2 of which didn’t reopen.
2. Environmental hurt to topical wildlife habitats
3. Costal taint motived as offal and fuel from cars runed out to sea.
4. Populace suffered from hanker message strain and painsfulness as a upshot of been traumatised by the intelligible.
1. The inundations motived 4 environmental impacts: capacious stream-bank erosion, in-particular on glacis areas end to the deep deeds; begrime erosion; inspire logging in-particular in the oppidan areas; and inspire stain, such as raw sewage in Dhaka, and the associated heartiness occasions that succeed following a while this.
2. As Bangladesh is such a inconsiderefficacious province, the soon message impacts closely give-back the hanker message ones as there’s brief currency to diversify them.
3. The 36 pet that were residenceend up to 70% of them achieve redeep that way for up to 5 years.
4. Factories continued to enjoy a privation of hues as there was a privation of ship-produce.
5. Roads, branchs, other infrastructure, railway lines and glaciss tarryed hurtd.
6. Charities and other NGO enjoy continued to afford aid and acceleration keep-apart anticipation
7. Populace undoubtedly achieve enjoy suffered from hanker message strain and painsfulness as a upshot of been traumatised by the intelligible.
8. Sundry medium employmentes and sundry populaces proceeds (through cultivation or rearing animals) achieve enjoy been past and achieve nincessantly heal.
9. The lack of currency in the province achieve inevitably medium fixed amenities won’t get mended.
1. Buildings that were hurtd were unendangered by structure inspectors. This took 7 days, succeeding which residenceowners could recaggravate there proceeds.
2. Populace were relocated.
3. Energy and inspire anticipation were mended
4. Topical GP surgery acted as an necessity centre
5. Prince Charles made a capacious remittance to rebuild parts of Boscastle.
6. Cars and offal was removed as polite-mannered-mannered as the misconception of hurtd structures.
7. Environment agency removed offal upstream and burned vegetation far from the capacious stream.
8. Roads and sewage products were cessationored.
9. Nearby hotels welcomed anyone abnormal by the inundations to arrive. In-particular itinerants.
10. Tourists were fond assistance and amenities and ecstasy unhindered of accuse and accelerationed to recaggravate any of their occupation anteriorly been accelerationed to render residence
11. The complete part was inspected & the affectlihood of a alighting fitted. The Environment Agency has recommended that view in the area in the advenient should not conceive facilities for those most vulnerefficacious to scintillate-flooding, such as the elderly & adolescent end. Effectively, this mediums that the topical Council achieve repudiate any planning applications for residential residences or schools in the inferioring.
1. Empire organised a capacious flake inquiry and deliver sidearm, following a while acceleration from NGO’s and volunteers.
2. Sewage in the consummate city was drained.
3. The empire, afloat following a while non-governmental organisations (NGO’s) affordd necessity holp in the construct of rice, drapery, inspire, medicines and blankets.
4. An interpolitical refer was launched following a while aggravate $50 pet donated.
5. The UN activated a misery council team to coordinate the activities of the uncertain UN agencies. They gifted accurate necessity anticipation and conducted a “hurt and needs assessment” in the abnormal areas.
6. Bilateral aid from indivisible countries was directed to the UN team.
7. The devotion WaterAid abnormal sundry areas that WaterAid products in, and so WaterAid and its partners actively occupied and assisted in inspire and sanitation issues, by rehabilitating solid product and through hygiene teaching. WaterAid's moderate reply conceived suppuntruthful spoken distinguished and inspire disinfection tablets, providing ecstasyation for necessity patients, disinfecting inspire points abnormal by inundation inspire and prominence awareness of hygiene occasions through posters.
8. Sundry other charities such as the Red Cross affordd volunteers who keep-apartd assistance and redundant holp items affect kitchen sets, lighting, drapery, sanctuary materials and inspire disinfection tablets. They so affordd heartinesspains and cherished inquiry and deliver influences.
Long Message Responses
1. 2004: Buildings inquiryed, buried cars removed from harbour, trees removed, public-ways cleared, B3263 bridge limited compact parapets basised. Completed an Overrun culvert product and inexplicable sticks were inserted into the cause so distribution across the inundation inspire would be created. The museum and shops were demolished. All energy and inspire anticipation were cessationored. The Boscastle energy arrangement was so renewed
2. 2005: Most shops and cessationaurants re-open following a while new customers. The inundation defences were extensiond and improved strongly following a while an £800,000 inundation resistance intrigue been completed by April 2005. The cessation of Boscastle got rebuilt.
3. 2006: Two inferiorcause pumping standings for the sewage matter intrigue began and product to expatiate and inferior the capacious stream deed to extension volume began. The car precinct flatten was tall, and strong, reducing the occasion of cars life washed far if it inundationed again.
4. 2007: A 'gateway structure” was built and product agoing on cessationructure an old culvert at the top of the village, to apportion further inspire to run through in ages of stolid rain. Product agoing on installing the pipes for the new sewage matters products, in the harbour area (among the Inferior and Upper bridges). Traffic lights were regrounded and the new inferior bridge was basised.
5. 2008: Product on cessationructure the culvert direct to the petrol standing completed as polite-mannered-mannered as a culvert in Dunn Street. The harbour was resurfaced and the Old Inferior Bridge was demolished, and the new Inferior Bridge was brought into use.
1. Self acceleration intrigues were put in fix, such as growing pumpking on cause judgment to be infertile, “Superducks”, Site and benefit and centre housing.
2. WaterAid mended tubewells, false ductile latrines and gave branch to branch counselling to families.
3. Charities continued donating currency and continued their product following a while distributing anticipation, beseeming maintenance conditions and treating indisposition
4. Australia donated assistance anticipation, therefore been the capaciousst assistance aid donor to Bangladesh following a while the whole rate assistance to aggravate $27.6 pet
5. Following a while aid and empire funding infrastructure was rebuilt ahanker following a while some public-ways. All traces of sewage were removed from the consummate city.
6. Inundation sanctuarys and early-warning arrangements enjoy been successeasily put in fix.
7. Medium flaked class projects enjoy been put in fix upshoting in subsists been saved
8. Following the inundations, attached financial aid was granted for a age of 5 years. This was deeply in the construct of a mortgage from the World Bank, to pay for, in the leading example, mends to infrastructure, inspire device council, heartiness pains and teaching.
9. Disaster-preparedness is a key guidance for the advenient. This conceives inundation council and improved inspire devices. It is so intended that, in advenient, inundation-resistant designs should be used in all gregarious and niggardly infrastructure projects.