Fundamentally, cancer is a failure of the immune system. Cancer kills because it spreads and disturbs homeostasis. For this assessment, select, research, and then describe a specific type of cancer occurring in either the digestive system or endocrine system. Note: If you choose the digestive system, you may discuss a cancer of the primary digestive system or that of an accessory organ. To select the specific type of cancer you wish to research for this assessment, you are encouraged to refer to the materials linked in the Resources.
In order to complete this assessment, you will need to find high-quality, appropriate, and credible research resources on a specific type of cancer. Resources in the Capella library are recommended because they have been selected for quality and credibility, and are peer-reviewed. If you conduct Internet research outside the library, your resources must be reliable. The “Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust” article, linked in the Resources under the Internet Resources heading, will be of particular help in selecting appropriate sources.
Assessment points will be deducted for citing unreliable sources such as Wikipedia, or other sites based on user-generated content. These sites are not peer-reviewed, and, in the case of Wikipedia, anyone can add an entry or change an entry. Hence, these types of sources should not be cited in college-level research papers. However, you may find Wikipedia useful as a starting point for your Internet research, as Wikipedia entries may provide links to other resources that are reputable and reliable.
Based on your research, write a paper that addresses all of the following:
- Identify the type of cancer of the endocrine or digestive system that you have researched. Which cancer did you choose, and what part of the body does that cancer affect?
- What are the biological changes that occur at the level of the cell that result in this type of cancer? What are the biological changes that occur at the level of the major organ as this cancer progresses?
- What characteristics of cancer cells distinguish them from normal cells?
- Consider how the disease affects the body as it progresses or spreads. What are some specific aspects of homeostasis that the spreading disease could affect? What self-regulating systems are upset because of this disease?
- Which therapies are available for treatment for this specific type of cancer? How do these therapies work biologically to treat this type of cancer?
- What are some lifestyle choices that might aid in prevention or treatment of this type of cancer? How do you incorporate these lifestyle choices in your daily life?
- How are the biological changes of this cancer, at the level of the cell and organ, similar to and different from changes in other types of cancer?
- Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: References and citations should be formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point.