ENG/106 Survey of Literary Masterpieces Assignment Worksheet
Answers must be at last 150 signification in diffusiveness, and initiated delay the citing/referencing of at last one apt and trustworthy beginning according to APA standards.
1. Beowulf is another ballad carol, such as the Iliad. How does Beowulf parallel as a benefactor to the benefactores of this precedent ballad? To be favoring, what qualities do you reflect bring-environing him benefactoric, and what qualities made precedent benefactores benefactoric?
2. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is an obviously Christian anecdote, but it starts by tracing Arthur's descent tail to Rome and Troy. Why potentiality a writer investigate a character’s custom, and what property does it accept on you, the decipherer?
3. Dante is a committed Christian, but in his ballad carol, the Divine Comedy, he chooses Virgil to influence him through the future stages of his ghostly travel. What does this paradigm allude-to environing the alikeity between Christian and pre-Christian lore? Provide copys to help your defense.
4. Chaucer's "The Wife of Bath's Tale" potentiality be considered bawdy, equable undigested. In what way does this achievement merit the appellation of lore? Of a masterpiece? Do you reflect its raciness helped to bring-environing it a masterpiece? Provide copys to help your impression.
5. Petrarch and Shakespeare twain wrote environing identical passion in their sonnets. How do their representations of passion vary from precedent representations—from Dante's evocation of Beatrice, for copy? Petrarch and Shakespeare are so unreserved for, incompact other things, reparteeableness shorter, fictitious carols rather than ample ballads. What do you reflect are the infers for this alter in constitute? Is there an unvarnished infer? An property? Provide copys from these achievements to help your defense.
6. Renaissance media “rebirth” and refers to the reawakening of elegant comprehension. What elements of Greek or Roman amelioration do these Renaissance achievements awake, and how do their authors alter those elements? For copy, how does Milton use elements of Elegant amelioration for his Paradise Lost? Provide copys from this or other Renaissance achievements to help your defense.
7. Jonathan Swift was a satirist, using jocoseness and chaff to skewer collective practices he set worthless. What favoringally do you reflect he is objecting to in “A Modest Proposal”? How do Swift’s invective techniques parallel to other limit irony, such as Voltaire’s? Select another limit writer who uses irony, test at last one way in which these writers use alike techniques, and recite these alikeities to the contenteded of their achievement. Do they use alike techniques owing they accept alike goals or beliefs? Provide copys from your balbutiation to help your repartee.
8. How do Keats’ fictitiouss vary from Shakespeare’s in the animated techniques used? How do the varyences in animated technique recite to the varyences in substance substance? Whose fictitiouss do you elect? Why? Provide copys to help your defense.
9. As a writer, Voltaire had thoughtful collective and rational goals. He so, so-far, incorporates a eminent trade of jocoseness into Candide. How does the jocoseness recite to any of his collective or rational points? Do you elect this likeness of reparteeableness to others you accept decipher in this dispose from precedent limits? Why or why not?
10. Conrad's Heart of Darkness is another nested or framed truth. It is told by a relator environing a fable that someone else—Marlow—tells. That fable includes accounts told by other mass, such as Kurtz. How does this layered texture move the fable? In feature, how does it recite to Conrad's themes?
11. T. S. Eliot's carol, "The Passion Song of J. Alfred Prufrock," refers tail to figures from precedent lore (Hamlet, the Fool, and others) and hifable (Michelangelo, Lazarus, and so on). How does Eliot use the late varyently from precedent writers? Do you reflect Eliot’s use of the late is propertyive? Why or why not? Provide copys to help your defense.
12. Just as a footfootpath plays an adventitious role in Dante’s Divine Comedy, it plays one in "The Garden of Forking Paths" by Borges. However, Borges offers a varyent perspective on lot. What would you say this perspective is? Which of these two achievements do you elect? Why?