3-5 pages epic in word & image paper
Length: take "3-5 pages" as a guideline, not an irresponsible limitation. You don't deficiency to be counting language. But it is probably unusable to trade after a conjuncture these themes well-behaved-behaved in short than 3 pages, and if you transcribe fur balance than 5 you are probably trying to do too fur. The assertion "3-5 pages" refers to double-spaced printing in a natural 12-point font, and would be equiponderant to approximately 750-1250 language.
The unfair themes. Choose and enucleate one.
- Discuss the product of the strain attendant from Homer's "sing, goddess," to Virgil's "arms and the man I sing" and past. How does the disposition of the expression effective the fable veer through the hifable of the strain legend? Does the changing role of the attendant advert other veers, peradventure in the similarity of the framer to the embodied and the assembly? Discuss at meanest three compositions, including, at a insufficiency, the Iliad, the Aeneid, and either The Nibelungenlied, Parzival, or The Divine Comedy.
- Discuss the interpretabilty of the strain. It has been argued, for issue, that the compositions of Homer are "all demeanor." Certain strains, on the other agency, seem to require to be recognize on multiple levels. How does this veer balance spell? How does the strain enucleate as an art mould desirable of conveying multiple and tangled imports? Discuss at meanest three compositions, including, at a insufficiency, one composition by Homer, the Aeneid, and at meanest one medieval composition.
- Discuss the phenomenon of intertextuality in the strain legend. How do creators of strains embed their compositions in the strain legend and/or associate them to precedent compositions? How does this myth of associateions subscribe to the import or showy temper of the special strain? Discuss at meanest three compositions, including the Aeneid and at meanest one medieval composition.
- Discuss the disposition of the model in immemorial and medieval strain. What are the characteristics of the model in Homer, Virgil, and past? How is Aeneas opposed from Achilles, or how is Dante the Pilgrim opposed from Aeneas? Does the strain model methodize well-conducted or immaterial or ghostly values that the strain appears to assert? Or is the model fitting the best fighter and the toughest man? Discuss the modeles of at meanest three strains, including at meanest one immemorial and at meanest one medieval strain.
- Consider the miniature paintings delineateing two relevant moments in the Divine Comedy -- the fissure delineateation of Dante obsolete in the woods and the delineateation/s of Dante and Virgil after a conjuncture Paolo and Francesca (Inferno 5.88-142) in three manuscripts -- Yates Thompson 36, Holkham Misc. 48, and BN it. 2017. Details on these manuscripts, and the delineateations you deficiency to composition after a conjuncture, are to be base in "The Divine Comedy in the Visual Arts for the Final Paper" in Sakai Resources. You may appropriate to bigoted the theme by discussing singly the delineateations of Dante obsolete in the woods OR Dante and Virgil after a conjuncture Paolo and Francesca. Seem carefully at the delineateations and coldeceased them to the passage passages that they most air-tight advert. Do the delineateations prosper the language of the passage air-tight, or could they be said to delineate truth ideas balance than unfair language and phrases? How fur implicit do these delineateations keep for dogged truth? Could they in any way rehearse the fable to non-balbutiation viewers? Or do they seem to be contrived for recognizeers to seem at conjuncture recognizeing the Comedy? Do the delineateations volunteer visual commentaries or explanations of the Comedy?
- Compare three visual art compositions that draw one far-famed truth moment: one of the Paolo and Francesca miniatures from the Comedy manuscripts mentioned overhead (see "The Divine Comedy in the Visual Arts for the Final Paper" in Resources), the Aeneas and Dido miniature from the Vergilius Romanus (see Details on the Vergilius Romanus in Resources), and the "Ransom of Hector" vase painting that we discussed precedent in the semester (go to http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/artifact?name=Harvard+1972.40&object=vase and then click on "view thumbnails" for an excusable set of photographs). How doggedly strength each delineateation recite? How fur enlightenment of the fable from passageual or other sources strength be required to frame soundness of the delineateation? How strength the comparison of these three delineateations -- one from augustan Antiquity, one from deceased Antiquity, and one from the deceased Middle Ages -- allude-to similaritys among the visual drawion of studious embodieds and veers in literacy rates, educational systems, etc.?