Posted: November 24th, 2022
Laypersons are often unaware of the extent to which memory errors (including memory of events that did not occur and memory distortions) are commonplace and widespread. The purpose of this assignment is to make you think of not only memory errors in real life, but also the reasons behind their occurrence. Consider the steps listed below:
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
Just from $13/Page
- Read the “Adaptive Constructive Processes and the Future of Memory” and “A Range of Memory Possibilities: The Challenge of the false Memory Debate for Clinicians and Researchers” articles, which offer an overview of memory errors and their origins.
- Keep in mind that your textbook is another valuable source of information regarding memory errors.
- Select a case mentioned in a news article where memory errors have been known or can be assumed to have occurred (e.g., eyewitness testimony, instances of recovered memories of traumatic experiences, etc.).
- Describe the main features of the errors, their consequences, and their possible sources (i.e., what are the features of human memory that make the errors possible?).
Engage your critical thinking skills:
- Explain what cognitive psychology suggests that people do to decrease the occurrence of the memory errors that you discuss in your paper. If these errors cannot be avoided, what does cognitive psychology suggest that people do to prevent the often damaging consequences of such errors?
- Note that statements regarding the inaccuracy of human memory, and strategies to decrease the occurrence of errors and their consequences are to be supported by scientific evidence collected by experts. Thus, review the literature on memory errors and use at least two peer-reviewed articles that can answer the questions above.
- Must begin with an introduction to the selected topic in which you define all concepts that will be discussed in the paper.
- Include a brief description of the memory errors featured in the selected news article as well as discussing potential sources and known or likely consequences according to the guidelines described above.
- Include a conclusion expressing your thoughts about how these memory errors can be prevented or reduced, and the extent to which their often dreadful consequences can be minimized. Keep in mind that although your opinion is valuable, it needs to be supported by scientific evidence.
The Memory Errors in Real Life Paper
- Must be three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages)